« Audi-licous | Main | EarthImagePlugIn: Part 2 »

July 17, 2005


I was playing around with OpenMap's EarthImagePlugIn [bbn.com] this weekend, which I must say is really cool, and I noticed that it used a lot of memory and was kind of slow. Of course I was using a 7.5MB gif image of the world, but I have another image that goes up to 31.5MB.

I wondered about where the performance bottlenecks and memory bloat were coming from, so I took a look at the PlugIn code. It seems that it's not utilizing any Java 1.4+ imaging functions, such as the ImageIO class. I replaced their image loading method with an ImageIO call and memory usage dropped significantly. I didn't do any timings, so I couldn't check the performance gains, but I think I would have recognized any significant speedups.

I also noticed un-optimized translation routines in the ImageTranslator inner-class. I'll try and help that out too.

Posted by Guy at July 17, 2005 6:03 PM